I’m going to swap a Gen III Hemi into a 1970 Charger. From what I can see, I’ll need the following:
From DIY Hemi
- DIY Hemi harness kit
- Hooker/Blackheart swap kit including Engine Mount Brackets, headers, trans crossmember, trans mount, oil pan, oil pick up tube, oil filter relocate kit
- Fuel regulator
- Champion radiator, shroud, electric fan(s), thermostat/relay kit
Other items to purchase:
- Fuse box (280 series - which one?)
- Custom driveshaft
From donor car or truck (have not identified one yet)
- Gen III hemi including ECM, TCM, Accelerator position sensor/gas pedal
- What does the DIY Hemi harness do? Does it provide connectivity to the original ignition key on the 1970 Charger? If so, SWEET!!! 😊
- Do I replace the original gas pedal in the 70 Charger with gas pedal from the donor vehicle?
- How do I get fuel to the engine? I assume I can use an external electric pump like this and put a fuel pressure regulator inline as well?
- I am hoping to use the automatic transmission from whichever donor vehicle I find. Will a modern automatic fit under the 70 Charger (not sure if they are larger than a 727) without modifying the tunnel?
- What’s involved in getting the shifter linkage to work?
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know what I’m getting myself into.
If I could buy some of the items listed above from DIY Hemi (other than the harness) I’d be happy to do so.
Thanks in advance for your input.